Sunday, November 29, 2009

Field Notes V: Chapters 7-8

I found these two chapters to be the most productive and relevant chapters that I have read so far.

I have been waiting the entire book for a discussion about human carbon output. In order for people to understand how humanity could be responsible for global warming, they must be told not only how their actions are affecting the climate, but also which actions are harmful. How can people work to make things better if they don't know what they are doing wrong? As I read chapter seven, I turned off my muted television because the information in the chapter made me realize that I was emitting unnecessary carbon. Its too bad that I had to read seven chapters of this book before I felt that there was something I could do.

I also enjoyed chapter eight because it provided necessary information for people to make informed political choices. Once people are aware of political agendas and options related to global warming, they can support worthy causes and candidates and rally for change.

Although I am relieved that Kolbert finally included these topics in her book, I am a bit frustrated that it took her seven chapters to do so. Human carbon output and political agendas are the heart of the global warming issue. They are the most important aspects and the most productive aspects to be discussed. Chapters seven and eight should have been the first two chapters in the book.

1 comment:

  1. Ashleigh, I'm glad you liked these chapters. Evidently, Kolbert wanted to show us the damage caused by global warming (melting glaciers, sinking permafrost, etc.) before embarking on a discussion of the solutions. I can understand her logic: you have to convince people there is a problem before they will buy into a solution.

    ReplyDelete